Buy a Gift Voucher
2018 Pottery & Sculpture: Wed 6pm-8:30pm
Perth pottery and clay sculpture classes
Expert and experienced tuition
Graham Hay has taught these classes since 1998.
An internationally recognised expert in ceramics and ceramic education, he is regularly invited to teach interstate and in a dozen countries.
Expert in teaching both beginners and previously experienced students.
All teaching will be customised to suit your own personal background and preferences, so you can learn and make what interests you, at your own speed.
See below a very short video of a random mix of beginners and long term students.
As an incentive to constantly improve my teaching, since 1999 I have recorded both good and bad reviews of my 200+ workshops here.
Or find other reviews via Googling: reviews "Perth Pottery and Sculpture Classes" to gain an impression of your likely experience.
To ensure you are absolutely happy, I urge new students to only buy and attend their first lesson, before buying more lessons.
Small, highly individual classes
The classes are small, with a weekly average of 6 students per class.
Only one or two new students join each class group at a time.
This ensures you receive greater support and encouragement from the teacher (and other students), compared to a large class of just beginners.
Plus both you and the regular students receive plenty of individual assistance.
This also means that you, regardless of your level of experience, are looked after and made most welcome.
You will receive timely instruction and advise whenever you require it.
Incermental expert advise means you can work at your own pace.
Because of this individual expert instruction, all students may pause, and resume (subject to space), their attendance. Regardless of reason (health, work, family, holiday, travel etc). Your class credit is preserved, provided you send a text or email, prior to the beginning of the lesson, and include a new date of return to class.
This means attending all students are healthy, happy and a relaxed atmosphere.
This also creates socially dynamic classes, with students appearing, disappearing and then re-appearing week by week.
As no two students make the same work, you can also learn also from fellow students, and the other studio artists.
Based upon your individual preferences, confidence, prior skills and knowledge, Graham introduces simple steps for you to create your work.
Many enjoy the classes being held within an open plan studio, surrounded by friendly, professional working artists.
The relaxed environment is enhanced by the light filled, high ceiling studio enviroment, within a beautiful inner-city park.
Try before you buy more lessons
Pre-pay for the first lesson only.
Then decide during the first lesson if you wish to continue with further lessons.
If you purchase further lessons during your first lesson, you receive an immediate $127 discount on any bundle of lessons in the table below.
For example: The 2018 fee for 12 lessons is $888 - $127 paid = $761 outstanding, with 11 lessons remaining, i.e. a $53 savings on your first lesson)
The larger the bundle bought during the first lesson, the greater the discount.
This initial discount only applies if further lessons are purchased during the first lesson.
You decide how many classes you attend, and so how much you pay per future lesson:
New students are urged to first read Try before you buy (just above).
2018 2018 2018
lesson total (average $
number cost /class)
1 127 127
6 564 94
8 696 87
10 790 79
12 888 74 <<<example above
15 1,050 70
18 1,116 62
21 1,187 57
25 1,325 53
30 1,442 50
35 1,592 46
EFTPOS and all major credit cards accepted.
Lessons bought in one year can be used in future years, eg: lessons purchased in 2017 are valid also in 2018 & 2019.
Graham Hay has taught these classes since 1998.
2017 Class day and times
Wednesday: 12 noon - 2.30pm
Wednesday: 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Friday: 9:30 am - 12 noon
(Confirm here, that any class is currently running)
A Creative Space.
The classes (est 1998) are held in the Robertson Park Artists Studio, in the middle of the southern lawn of Robertson Park, Perth, Western Australia.
The studio is a spacious, light-filled space, leased from the City of Vincent by a group of professional artists. Annual Studio Newsletters.
- How to quickly select (or develop) an idea or process, suitable to your own confidence and skill.
- To progressively master both traditional and contemporary clay techniques.
- How to make your work, by simple, short, incremental steps, at your own speed, with expert tuition.
- New, and increased knowledge, skill and confidence with clay.
- Start classes when you are ready, pause and resume when it suits you, without penalty (just let us know).
- Try before you buy: Buy only the first class. Decide at that class how many lessons you want (generous discounts).
- Free 10 kg bag of soft clay, and use of studio tools and equipment.
- Free parking, tea and real coffee.
- Welcomed into a supportive community of similar, like minded students and artists.
3 hour Free Parking
at Robertson Park Tennis Club carpark,
either side on Fitzgerald Street, during week days.
(Night class: note: clearway until 6pm on east side, then free)
- Bring any drawings, pictures, digital images you might have (optional).
An old shirt or comfortable clothes. Covered shoes are necessary as this is a working studio.
common sense refund policy
Credits are transferable, but not generally refundable (but this does not diminish your statutory rights).
Class Conditions (not applicable for workshops):
1. Courtesy Saves: If you can't attend any class, your lesson credit is only protected (ie "rolled over") if you email or text me before the lesson, AND provide a specific "date of return to class".
The quickest and easiest way is by using the reschedule link in class confirmation or reminder emails.
This information is essential to prevent too large or too small classes.
I will confirm receipt of you text or email, and that your place in the class reserved.
If you do not provide a return date, or do not attend the lesson, your balance will decline each week. When your balance reached zero, your shelve will be cleared (to make space for new students) and all clay recycled.
If you let me know via email/text, lessons can be rolled over for up to 2 years.
2. Similarly, if you are returning to classes after a prolonged absence, please contact me well before to ensure a place is reserved for you.
3. You can change which day and time you attend classes, and even attend more than one lesson per week, provided you have first discussed it with me, and there is space in the class. If you are using the automatic system, you'll see live online were the gaps are and can immediately reschedule.
4. If you are likely to be away for more than two months, you will be asked to temporarily take your clay and creations home (so to make space for new students, and to encourage you to keep making at home). Upon your return a space will be again made available for you.
5. Want more flexibility? Just ask.