Buy a Gift Voucher
Perth Pottery & Sculpture Class.
Perth pottery and clay ceramic sculpture classes
Expert and experienced tuition
Graham Hay has taught these classes since 1998.
An internationally recognised expert in both ceramics and ceramic education, he has been invited to give 300 artist talks, workshops, and demonstrations in a dozen countries.
Participated in 160 exhibitions in a dozen countries, including biennales in Australia, Holland, Argentina, Romania, and Italy. His artwork is published in dozens of international books and journals and in public collections in many countries.
Expert in teaching both beginners and experienced students at primary, secondary and tertiary levels, as well as recreational and professional groups. Graham is regularly invited to teach across WA, interstate and overseas. Full list here.
Therefore all teaching will be customised to suit your own personal background and preferences, so you can learn and make what interests you, at your own speed.
See below a very short video of a mix of beginners and ongoing students.
Current steps to protect students, tutor and other studio artists: in this update (@14/6/20).
If lockdown is reintroduced new and ongoing students will be emailed with a link to reschedule their first class to any future date. Every time they reschedule they will immediately receive a new email with a fresh rescheduling link. Classes and workshops will be capped at 6 participants, to provide good personal space and safe studio practices.
As an incentive to constantly improve my teaching, both good and bad reviews of my 200+ workshops here.
Or find other reviews via Google link: reviews "Perth Pottery and Sculpture Classes"
To ensure you are absolutely happy, I urge new students to only buy and attend their first lesson, before buying more lessons. When I’m out of the room ask other students about the classes.
A quarter of students have attended for over five years, some over a decade. a few over two decades.
Small, highly individual classes, with a weekly average of 6 students per class.
Only one or two new students join a class group at a time.
Both you and regular students receive plenty of individual assistance.
Plus you receive greater support and encouragement from the teacher (and other students), compared to a large class of mostly beginners.
Regardless of your level of experience, you are looked after and made most welcome.
You will receive timely instruction and advise whenever you require it (often well before any disasters!)
Incremental expert advise means you can work at your own pace.
Individual instruction means all students may pause, and resume, their attendance.
Regardless of reason (health, work, family, holiday, travel etc), your class credit is protected if you text or email a new date of return to class, at least 2 hours beforehand.
This means attending all students present are healthy, happy, producing a relaxed atmosphere.
These are socially dynamic classes, with students appearing, disappearing and then re-appearing week by week.
No two students make the same work, so you learn both from Graham and fellow students.
Simple steps are provided for you to create your work, based upon your individual preferences, confidence, prior skills and knowledge.
Many enjoy the classes being held within an open plan studio, surrounded by friendly, professional working artists.
The relaxed environment is enhanced by the light filled, high ceiling studio environment, within a beautiful inner-city park.
Try before you buy more lessons:
Pre-pay for the first lesson only.
Decide during the first lesson if you wish to continue or not with further lessons.
The first lesson fee of $167 includes $30 of clay. If you purchase further lessons during your first lesson you receive an immediate $137 discount on any bundle of lessons in the table below.
For example: The fee for 10 lessons is $830 - $137 paid = $693 outstanding, with 9 lessons remaining, i.e. a $54 savings on your first lesson)
The larger the bundle bought during the first lesson, the greater the discount.
This initial discount only applies if further lessons are purchased during the first lesson.
To ensure new students receive plenty of expert assistance, while recognising that long term students contribute to the studio and classes in many ways.
To enable students to purchase a variety of bundles of lessons, to suit their personal circumstances.
Once enrolled and prepaid lessons, you may pause and resume your attendance at any time (for health, holidays, travel, work, family etc), without penalty, and change classes, provided you text or email date changes before the lesson. To avoid the Penalty, always include a return date.
New students are urged to read first "Try before you buy" (just above).
Bulk Discount Fees
No. of average Total
lessons cost $ cost $
1 137 137
6 582 97
8 688 86
10 830 83
12 936 78
15 1,110 74
20 1,240 62
25 1,425 57
30 1,545 54
35 1,750 50
EFTPOS, all major credit cards and Afterpay accepted.
Lessons bought in one year can be used over the next two years.
2019 Class Day and Times:
Wednesday: 12 noon - 2.30pm
Wednesday: 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Friday: 9:30 am - 12 noon
Saturday: 1pm - 3:30pm
(Confirm here, that any class is currently running)
A Creative Space.
The classes (est 1998) are held in the Robertson Park Artists Studio, in the middle of the southern lawn of Robertson Park, Perth, Western Australia.
The studio is a spacious, light-filled space, leased from the City of Vincent by a group of professional artists. Annual Studio Newsletters.
- How to quickly select (or develop) an idea or process, suitable to your own confidence and skill.
- To progressively master both traditional and contemporary clay techniques.
- How to make your work, by simple, short, incremental steps, at your own speed, with expert tuition.
- New, and increased knowledge, skill and confidence with clay.
- Start classes when you are ready, pause and resume when it suits you, without penalty (just let us know).
- Try before you buy: Buy only the first class. Decide at that class how many lessons you want (generous discounts).
- Free 10 kg bag of soft clay, and use of studio tools and equipment.
- Free parking, tea and real coffee.
- Welcomed into a supportive community of similar, like minded students and artists.
3 hour Free Parking
at Robertson Park Tennis Club carpark,
either side on Fitzgerald Street, during week days.
(Night class: note: clearway until 6pm on east side, then free)
- Bring any drawings, pictures, digital images you might have (optional).
An old shirt or comfortable clothes. Covered shoes are necessary as this is a working studio.
Adults only (a child free space for parents)
common sense refund policy
Credits are transferable, but not generally refundable (but this does not diminish your statutory rights).
Class Conditions (not applicable for workshops):
1. Courtesy Saves: If you can't attend any class, your lesson credit is only protected (ie "rolled over") if you email or text me before the lesson, AND provide a specific "date of return to class".
The quickest and easiest way is by using the reschedule link in class confirmation or reminder emails.
This information is essential to prevent too large or too small classes.
I will confirm receipt of you text or email, and that your place in the class reserved.
If you do not provide a return date, or do not attend the lesson, your balance will decline each week. When your balance reached zero, your shelve will be cleared (to make space for new students) and all clay recycled.
If you let me know via email/text, lessons can be rolled over for up to 2 years.
2. Similarly, if you are returning to classes after a prolonged absence, please contact me well before to ensure a place is reserved for you.
3. You can change which day and time you attend classes, and even attend more than one lesson per week, provided you have first discussed it with me, and there is space in the class. If you are using the automatic system, you'll see live online were the gaps are and can immediately reschedule.
4. If you are likely to be away for more than two months, you will be asked to temporarily take your clay and creations home (so to make space for new students, and to encourage you to keep making at home). Upon your return a space will be again made available for you.
5. Want more flexibility? Just ask.